Thursday, August 21, 2008

Reality Check

I am embarrassed at what a whiny baby I have been lately.

"Poor me, I am writing the mcat next week!"

Sheesh.

The news today has given me a reminder that I needed...of the fact that my life is so good I ought to be singing from the rooftops not wallowing in self pity.

Nothing like a good dose of reality to remind one of all the things I ought to be thankful for.

For starters, the fact that my brothers are alive.

I won't ramble on about it here as well, but another three Canadian soldiers died today in Afghanistan. They were all from my brother Russ' Battallion. No matter what your feelings are about the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, hearing about young men and women dying is saddening and frustrating, so I opted out of my usually non-political postings and made one today on ohtanninbound in their honor.

My heart and prayers go out to their families.

Private Colin William, a medic who was killed July 7th.

2 comments:

Bostonian in NY said...

Scary how things like that remind you of your place in the grand scheme of things.

I was a mere signature away from being an Army Reserve medic back in May 2001, but because of the timing of the start of college, I couldn't fit in Basic. Look at all that has happened since then!

Albinoblackbear said...

Yeah. This week it has all been a little too close to home.

I am sure your family/GF are mighty glad you didn't sign on that dotted line...

In 1999 I made it to the last round of selections for the Air Force (after a year of testing--flight sim, fitness, IQ, written exams). Every round of testing I kept thinking :okay this will be the time I get cut...but it just never happened until the very end.

I certainly wonder some days where and who I'd be if my life had gone down that road...can't even really fathom it.