Saturday, May 7, 2011

End of An Era

So Thursday marked the end of an era in our lives.

Tobie had his final lesson with his master's supervisor. I am not sure if I am allowed to say who he is, on the blog, so let me just point out that the guy is kinda a big deal in the viola world. And he knows it. And he is very, very demanding and hard on his students. And not in an inspiring Dead Poets Society kind of way but more in a Scarface fear for your life kind of way.

So naturally we had to celebrate Tobie's final lesson, though it was a bittersweet celebration as it also makes us realise that Tobie is getting closer to moving back to Canada, and I am merely getting closer to spending another two years (minimum) here.

But hell, we had the Champagne. And if nothing else, having good Champagne is a reason to celebrate. The last time I tasted those particular bubbles was the night of my MCAT, and oh they were sweet that night as well. I discovered these particular (very hard to find) bottles in Galway a few months back and excitedly bought two, one for Tobie's last lesson and one for my end of exams.


Step one: change into a relaxing suit. If you can't drink fine alcohol together in your pajamas, something is not right.  


Step two: note the not-so-smiling face of Veuve Clicquot. She should have been smiling. After her husband died she took over the business and made it a raging success...and this was in the days when it wasn't proper for women to be involved in man work. Go Veuve Clicquot!!


Step three: pop your first bottle of Champagne off the deck, have your girlfriend catch the moment, by
chance, in the sweetest cork-popping action shot ever.


Step four: find a water glass and the one remaining wine glass that you still own, and get down to business. C'mon, give us a break, we are still students, after all...

Step five: Sláinte! (And spend the rest of the evening trying not think about a final performance that is still looming, or exams, or the fact that you will soon be living very far away from your beloved).


7 comments:

PGYx said...

Congratulations to Tobie for completing his final lesson with Dr. Big Deal! I hope you two get to spend all of your vacation time together over the next two years (and that the time flies by as it tends to do).

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I think he should have had the wine glass. He's the one you're celebrating, after all. After your finals, then you can have it.

Cartoon Characters said...

Grumpy: Tobie is obviously a chivalrous gentleman. Of course he will give his lady the "proper wine glass"...
:)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to him! When is his final performance?

E. Greene said...

Congrats to Tobie! I won't dare guess...

This is wonderful. Now I need to learn how to make champagne. Or..I guess "sparkling wine" since I live a little too far away from Champagne.

E. Greene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Albinoblackbear said...

PGYx--I hope so too, though these days it looks like most of my vacation time will be in "north American electives" land...

True, the time is always a-flyin!

Grump--see CC's comment! :) He *gave* me the glass.

CC--I tried not to think about the fact that in my past life I actually owned some killer stemless Champagne glasses...


IANH--July 3rd. I am done on the 10th of June so will be heading back to Canada a couple weeks ahead of him (mind you, he's going back to Gatineau and I'll be in AB!! sniff)

E.Greene--YEAH! Oh my if I learned how to make sparkling white I would defo be an alcoholic! =)