Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Blowout Fracture

Tobie often comes into the office and looks over my shoulder at what I am studying. Usually his gaze can only be held on the screen for a millisecond before he shudders and freaks out and the "disgusting images I stare at all day".

Yesterday he meandered in and saw the article I was reading on blowout fractures (which is a type of fracture that occurs from facial trauma, usually fracturing the orbital bones +/- zygomatic arches).

Orbital Floor Fracure image from emedicine.com
Tobie: Blowout fractures? What is that? Wait, is that like when a dude who is running to avoid the cops for missed child support payments slips on a pack of Craven-A's and breaks his arm?

Me: Pretty much.

Dude who has probably had a blowout fracture.

8 comments:

Christopher said...

Neat, you found a picture of my neighbor.

Headstrong said...

Snicker, snicker-snicker.

NPO said...

Medical humor, I like it.

OMDG said...

You should look up LaForte (or is it LeForte...) fractures. Very very cool and totally up your alley.

Albinoblackbear said...

Chris--Awesome. I think your mission is now to get a photo of said neighbor and send it to me! hahah

HS--Indeed. =)

NPO--It flops with 99% of the population...but here...maybe only 75%?

OMDG--I had a pt once with a Le Forte fracture (among others). It was horrible, it was like his face was just floating on bloody goo, not resting on solid bone like it should be. Facial trauma like that is *scary* when you are 2h away from a tertiary care center. But definitely up my alley.

Needless to say he got a helicopter ride that day.

Anonymous said...

Hehe. I like Tobie's sense of humour.

OMDG said...

Yeah, I had no idea you could break your face *off* the rest of your skull. It would be interesting to see how they repair that type of fracture.

Anonymous said...

"Blowout fractures? What is that? Wait, is that like when a dude who is running to avoid the cops for missed child support payments slips on a pack of Craven-A's and breaks his arm?"

haha. Tobie can be a wikipedia, eh. With great humor too.