Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Retail Therapy

So I bought a car today!!!

Cue "Walkin' on Sunshine". It actually feels like my 16th birthday. My parents bought me a 1976 Grand Marquis Mercury as a gift, and surprised me with it at the licensing office. There are photos of me jumping up and down and my dad grinning from ear to ear. I wish I had a copy of that photo here.

The sweet ride of yesteryear...

Yes, I could fit my entire volleyball team in the car, including 6'5" coach and obese water boy.

Today's purchase was a wild adventure which I will dish on soon. Let's just say, when you answer a private ad for a car sale, you never know what you are getting into. Don't worry, it's nothing bad, in fact it was better than I could have ever anticipated. Just very, very, surreal.

Sadly, I have PBL in 12h and a metric tonne of work that needs to be done regarding the spine before that, so we'll have to save the post for tomorrow. Until then, I leave you with a photo of her beauty. I think I'm going to call her, Belle Bleu.

Little. Blue. Better. 

I can fit my lip gloss and macbook in this one.

15 comments:

m said...

Congrats! Yarises are truly awesome. Which year did you get?

My family's '07 Yaris (blue, I might add) has proved itself from the climbs towards Grouse Moutain to the cruises through snow-covered city streets.

(Btw, I've been following your blog for a while now and this is my first comment -- can readers not comment via link/URL?)

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

What a cute blue ride!

Albinoblackbear said...

EWood-It's a 2000, but only has 50 000 miles on it, so I snapped it up. I've driven only Toyota's for the past 10 years so...and yes, never let me down on the Duffy or Rogers Pass! :)

Forgive my extremely pilgrim interweb skills but I don't understand your question about the comments...er...I don't know if readers can comment via link? (Eeek, she blushes with embarrassment).

ZE--Thanks! My thoughts exactly.

Albinoblackbear said...

Oh and Ewood: GROUSE Mountain!!!!!!

Sigh.

Pang of homesickness.

Anonymous said...

I don't care what the press says about Toyoto, I swear by my 97 Camry (which has over 100000 km on)

Albinoblackbear said...

IANH--Team Toyota!!

When I traded in my 1985 Tercel hatchback (the Mint Julep) it had over 250 000kms on it. Never had a problem with it. It was so wee. I loved it.

And it had an eyeball melting heater in it (key for Edmonton winters).

PGYx said...

Congratulations, she's adorable! May she bring you many years of fun drives!

OMDG said...

Awesome!!!

Maha said...

Good job! I need a car badly but can't justify at the moment. Mainly becuase I'm in your neck of the woods - well much closer compared to Canada. In lovely Glasgow... wishing for a car! :)

Hope you have fun drives with ZERO complications.

Medical Mojave said...

Oh very cute cute.

I'm jealous.

My 11 year old minivan is parked with an electrical problem.

M

Anonymous said...

Cool car! Looks fun to drive.

Anonymous said...

The steering wheel is clearly on the wrong side in the picture though. :P haha!

Absentbabinski said...

Love it, the car looks happy :) I hope you have many happy miles in your sweet ride.

m said...

No worries about the extreme pilgrimage... I should have been clearer. You know where it says "Choose an identity" under the comment box? Currently the options are Google Account or OpenID, but I've seen Name/URL as an identity option on some other blogs (e.g., OMDG). It's not a big deal, though.

Rogue Medic said...

I get the feeling that you did not drive the Cosmic Valise across the Atlantic. I am shocked that it has limitations. I used to start humming Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, when you would post about CV.

Good luck with BB.