Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ask...

Last night we had some friends over for dinner. The subject of food came up and Kevin there were foods that I missed from Canada which were hard to find here. 

I didn't have to ponder that question at all.  I started describing this type of chili garlic sauce which I have an addiction to. Seriously, I put it on (and in) everything from eggs, sandwiches, soups, salad dressings, stir-frys...oh it is divine. In the past year and a half I have combed through deli's, farmer's markets, grocery stores, Asian corner shops, giant Tesco's...all to no avail.

So today my doorbell rings and Lise, Ryan's girlfriend who arrived on Saturday from Montreal, presents me with...wait for it...

My precious.
Awwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhh.

She also came with real Montreal bagels for Tobie, but no smoked meat sandwich (his other request). Thanks Lise!!!

Life is good.

Now if someone would just turn up with a crate of GoLean Kashi cereal I'd be sorted.

12 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Yeah, we get the Kashi at Costco. But I never thought of pouring garlic chili sauce on it.

If you also crave a bottle of banana ketchup, we have an unopened one I can send you.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.....Montreal style bagels.

Also, you didn't ask for poutine? I'm disappointed.

Albinoblackbear said...

"Yeah we get the kashi at Costco".

Thanks for that. How very nice for you and your family, Grump! =P

IANH--RIGHT? I'd never had one until yesterday and yes indeed I see what the big deal is.

Poutine. Ha! My ass size seems to grow in direct proportion to 'months in medical school' so NO.

Poutine for me is like Santa, it only comes once a year (except in my case it comes in July when I am in Montreal apparently).

Medical Mojave said...

Oh yeah, Siracha. Good stuff. I love how it smells.

Got a good recipe to share? I'm all eyes.

M

Keet said...

LOL - I thought i was bad with my KD requests. Although rooster sauce is good on KD too.
Hrmmm...

Anonymous said...

So, wait, you're against poutine, but not against Montreal style bagels, which follow the formula: Bagel + Sugar = MTL Bagel?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hahah Kashi GoLean "Crunch" is my version of CRACK. Best cereal ever.

And as for Montreal smoked-meat, guess who suffered a bout of violent food poising after dining at Schwartz's?
True story. Cost me tickets to the Osheaga music festival, too.

Cara said...

You can have the box of Kashi cereal in my pantry if you want (Costco sized). I find it incredibly hard to chew. I don't know, maybe I have squishy gramma-teeth already or something. Cereal should not be a jaw-workout to eat. Or maybe it should, and I'd lose some weight too. My ass grows every semester of nursing school too. Yay for Grad in May!!

Jessica said...

Best. Hot. Sauce. Ever.

When I lived in California, I used to require that my visitors brought me ketchup chips and St. Alberts cheese curds. Those were what I missed the most.

Makes me drool just to think about it!

Great said...

St-Viateur or Fairmount?
(now I'm in trouble)

Albinoblackbear said...

POP--Will post a few soon for ya.

Keet--Ugh. Seriously? KD?? I always laughed when I saw it for sale under the counter at the Burton store in Whistler...

Carrie--Crack indeed. My friend Cathy Lee has promised to being me some in a few weeks. =)
Schwartz's??? No REALLY!!?? That is Tobie's favorite deli (and Leonard Cohen's).

Cara--I like the regular over the crunch version as well, but I'll take anything at this point. Congrats on the May grad!

Jessica--Hilarious. Random rare foods I'd have never thought of.

SIW--Hehhe, ah ha! A connoisseur! They were neither I am afraid but I have been told they tasted exactly like the St-Viateur.