Thursday, June 2, 2011

Becoming A Gunner

Apologies in advance for the brief post!

My office is starting to look like a scene from Shaun of the Dead, (actually come to think of it, I am starting to look like a scene from Shaun of the Dead) but I wanted to quickly put the word out to those of you who are deep in the trenches of USMLE hell, like me.

Last week I got an email from a reader about this USMLE prep site that I hadn't heard of, gunnertraining.com.

Anyway, I signed up for the free 1 week trial and LOVE it. It has all the same things that USMLE World and Kaplan but some interesting features that are unique--like these amazing flash cards that distill everything down to the bones and then test you. It's a nice compliment to the multiple choice format as it forces you to recall (because you type the answer in for the quiz parts) rather than just guess or use the answers to prompt.

I'll write a proper post about it when this week is over, but in the meantime go check it out. You can get a free one week trial to nose around the site. I figured many of you are getting close to the finish so I wanted to put the resource out there as fast as I could.

Now that I actually have an account I can give out free 1 month trials so:

http://www.gunnertraining.com/free_trial/1858779

Knock yourself out, kids.

Back to it!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a member of Gunner Training too! LOVE IT. I signed up at the beginning of this semester. It keeps me from forgetting things I've learned in previous blocks.

Each day I add the 2-3 cards most relevant to the day's lectures, and then get tested on whichever older material the website's algorithm has determined I'm closest to forgetting.

(... In theory. In practice, I sometimes go a week without signing in, and then I have to catch up - but I still retain information much better than I would've without it, I think.)

I can e-mail out codes for 1 free month if anyone is interested.

Albinoblackbear said...

AP--Yeah I am actually bummed that I didn't discover it *last* year because our exams have a 2h long-answer component every semester, and I felt like MCQ practice wasn't cutting it.

I just really like the layout. Hopefully they'll make a Step 2 prep!

Oh and DUH, I didn't realise that I could put free links up from my account. *facepalm*

Anonymous said...

Tried a few. Got horribly depressed about my "education"

Albinoblackbear said...

IANH--Hahah, oh dear. I wouldn't fret too much about it. I am sure if you had a month to study just for that you'd be perfectly fine!

I actually found the gunner questions a bit harder than the kaplan ones--that is, I bombed horribly on the gunner ones I've done...and just slightly embarrassingly on the kaplan ones. I just keep telling myself: I haven't really started studying for the boards yet...