Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I am an Idiot

Thanks y'all for the reassuring emails and comments.

Turns out I am actually the most high-reactive-psycho-with-impaired-self-diagnosing-abilities.

Proof that one should never diagnose/treat oneself.

I guess when you spend the summer in a pit of MRSA it is bound to be on your list of differentials but really ABB? Really?? Gad! I am so annoyed with myself for jumping to that conclusion (and depleting my Bactrim stash).

IDIOT. IDIOT. IDIOT.

Stress does really weird things to rational thought processes. Really weird things. Funny how I can be calm when someone starts bleeding out of their eye sockets in front of me but when I have a few bumps of folliculitis on my leg I completely fly off the handle.

I am actually so embarrassed I thought about taking the original MRSA post down, but then thought, no...I'll leave it as a reminder to myself of what happens when I turn into an irrational medical student/emergency nurse.

I promise I will use this event as a lesson for the future.

IDIOT!

11 comments:

Absentbabinski said...

ABB? What's that?

Also, don't feel bad about getting a taste for self-diagnosis. After my hearing loss case I thought I had an acoustic neuroma. And after one troubling grey BM, I was positive I had Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Turned out I had just eaten a job lot of blueberries.

I'm just glad my current crop of cases are all about pregnancy!
Hope you're feeling better

ABx

Albinoblackbear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Albinoblackbear said...

"ABB" is the shortened version of "albinoblackbear" hence why I chuckled when almost referred to you with that acronym.

Hilarious. We have the same curriculum. Lemme guess, Gerrard* the machinist? The Coakleys* and their conception issues? I shudder to recall the day I broke down and bought an embryo textbook.

Yes doing much better, thanks! :)

*Not real names people in blogland, don't worry, I am not that unprofessional!

Absentbabinski said...

Sorry! The minute I thought about for more than 30 seconds I realised how daft I was!

This week is mother with learning difficulties and a bun in the oven. All our cases are written by heads of different specialities, so we've got a string of cases concocted by the O+G consultant who men want to be and women want to be with!

Urgh. I never realised how I'd managed to sleep-walk through the science of human reproduction until now.

Albinoblackbear said...

Ahh, ok so not *exactly* the same then. Just figured since we had sensorineural hearing loss then preggo cases last fall.

Damn--sounds like you got some hip lecturers.

We've got a couple of consultants that are great lecturers. Many who breeze in and sit in front of the laptop and read off PPP slides verbatum. And a couple who tuck their ties into hiked up trousers....or pronounce migraine, "mee-graine".

Grumpy, M.D. said...

So much for my dermatology skills. I figured it was a cutaneous Treponema Pallidum infection.

Fordo said...

Chuckle. Glad you're okay.

I heard at some time that med students routinely think they're infected with whatever disease process they are currently studying. Is there a name for that? It escapes me.

Anonymous said...

I think its called Medstudentitis. I'm glad you are ok ABB! Don't be so hard on yourself girl, we've all been there :)....

Albinoblackbear said...

Grump---hahah, see? If you hear hoofbeats you think "neuro problem!"

If I hear them--I think "MRSA!!!!!!!!"

We can't help it! It is what we know. And no, I didn't have a painless chancre. Hahah.

Fordo--It's true, my sweet darling study partner Margaret (who is the picture of 26 year old gorgeous Irish-woman) was convinced she had emphysema last year during that section. I thought I had esophageal cancer also last year for about 4 days, also. Though I didn't actually start myself on chemotherapy that time.

And I agree with Ninja--I think it is medstudentitis.

Ninja--aw thanks so much. I still feel like a tool though! :)

Cartoon Characters said...

We all do it. Don't feel bad. :)

Bostonian in NY said...

Grumpy- you should look into an ID fellowship...;)