Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Photos From Connemara Part II

As promised, a few more favorites from the weekend on the West Coast. 

Below, the gang saddling up to the second bar. Ultan (or Encyclopedia Ultannica as we like to call him due to his freakish depth and breadth of knowledge for all things) and Shane (also ridiculously smart).

Hello delicious friend. 

Tobie and I attempting to be the biggest cheese-balls in the pub. We did not succeed however because the band was playing "Leaving on a Jet Plane" at that moment and winning the cheese competition. 

Ryan and I have an uncanny ability to pull the same face in photos, unaware. More proof that he's my brotha' from anotha' motha'. 

Enough alcohol and self-loathing will cause one to eat this salty treat known as "Bacon Chips". Yup. Little strips of hydrogenated corn meal dyed to look (and taste!) like bacon. I think we ate about 8 packs in 1.7 mins. 

My favorite pub of the night. We were sitting at one of the 3 tables. 

And what photo essay of a weekend away would be complete without photos of Ryan's bed head in the morning? Truly formidable I say. 

And a little music making. 


The "breakfast baguette" or perhaps "meat in a vessel". Sausages, bacon, black and white pudding, and bread. I should have snapped the photo after Ryan added mayo and ketchup. Actually. 

Sigh. The road back to reality. 

This photo reminds me of B.C. *Sniff*. 

And naturally there were some sheep on the side of the road. 

I then arrived home and had a melt-down of stress related blubbering as I shuddered at how much work I didn't do over the weekend.

That is something I miss about working. When my shift was done as a nurse, it was done. My days off belonged to me, not this annoying voice in the back of my head reminding me that I should be doing practice questions, reviewing notes, etc.

I need to get better at switching out of school mode when I am taking a break or taking the day off, otherwise it isn't really a day off. This is clearly a work in progress. All I know is that the only days I feel good are the days that I run/train and the days I get a few hours of really solid, quality studying in. Now to figure out how to do those things 6 days a week, and I'll be sorted.

And on the 7th day, I'll rest.

9 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Sounds like a good relax weekend and a desire to sort it out. I think you will figure out how to disconnect. Hang in there-you're doing so well.

Albinoblackbear said...

Thanks Lynda--hope so! :)

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Peter, Paul, and Mary! Good heavens.

"Oh if I had a reflex hammer, I'd hammer the patella. I'd hammer the biceps, and brachioradialis, too!"

Keet said...

So wish I was there!
Love the photos, and know that there will be an end to school, briefly, before you decide to do some more... you are a learner ABB, you will always seek more knowledge. Hopefully it will be in more palatable chunks once you're done med school. xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was an amazing weekend ABB, and awesome pictures to prove it!

I think the bad news about second year is that for the next year med school is pretty much going to own you. You are driven, you want to do well and you know how important this foundation of knowledge you are currently building will be in the future. So, some things you normally value may just -temporarily- have to take a backseat in your life. At some point before Christmas last year I just gave into it, it was like I stopped swimming against a current and life was a little easier after.

The good news is its only for a year, its going to go quickly, all the time you put in now will pay off (immensely) when Boards roll around and you get to the wards. *Also* life is short and precious and it is absolutely mandatory and essential to your very survival/sanity, and therefore your education, that you take time off to have a fabulous weekend occasionally to celebrate it. Guilt. Free. :)

H said...

Are all those fellas Irish? Between the accents and the cuteness I think I would've died.

Nature Nerd said...

Mmmm black pudding - I miss you already.

Good to hear you got away for the weekend. Days off are key to overall productivity. I recommend thinking of James' coiling spring theory when you're taking time off. Then you can think of your time off as accumulating productivity for later.

Cartoon Characters said...

Oh to be young again! ;) I miss those days...
AND - Many thanks to Guinness people who funded our Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver. :)

Albinoblackbear said...

Woah! how did all these comments sneak in here?

Grump--I will admit, that took me a minute. Awesome. (And nerdy---but you're a neurologist so that is par for the course).

Keet--Love you and miss you (everyone anxiously awaits your return...) Good point, you're right--my default mode is "school".

Ninja--Yep, I think you hit the nail...I have to get back into the mindset that it is just my REALLY demanding full time job. Lots of people have REALLY demanding full time jobs! :)

Still need to work on the 'guilt free' portion of things.

Heidi--It was a 50/50 split: two Irish and 2 Canadians (and one Quebecois---ha! ZING!--my boyfriend). It's true, Irish accents can be dead sexy--or impossible to understand. Those dudes are like brothers to me so I didn't almost die at their cuteness or accents.

They are single though so feel free to move to Ireland and stalk them. Wait, I probably shouldn't make stalking jokes on the interwebs...

NN--GAH! Black pudding is satan in a meat product I think--WHITE pudding however is where it is at. :)

THANK YOU! I had forgotten about the infamous coiling spring analogy! Huzzaaaahhhhh!

Cartoon--REALLY? That is a piece of trivia I didn't know. I adore that bridge, every time I cross it I fall in love with Vancouver/Squamish again for the first time.