Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Questions That Keep Us All Awake at Night

"The oxytocin causes increased rhythmical contractions of the uterus, which have been postulated to cause increased transport of the sperm. A few sperm have been shown to traverse the entire length* of the fallopian tube* in the cow in about 5 minutes, a rate at least 10 times as fast as that which the swimming motions of the sperm themselves could possibly achieve. Whether this occurs in the human female is unknown."

Thank you for that Guyton & Hall: Textbook of Medical Physiology, 11th ed.

I can't imagine why a woman would shy away from being involved in the study to finally crack that mystery. Nothing is sexier than a man in a lab coat with a stopwatch.

How is one supposed to be impressed by this time trial without the knowledge of the length of said cow fallopian tube?? I hope they pick up this oversight for the 12th ed.

8 comments:

Rogue Medic said...

Nothing is sexier than a man in a lab coat with a stopwatch.

That's what all the ladies tell me. I always wear these to the nightclubs. Guaranteed revelry and debauchery. Why did you have to give out my secret?

OMDG said...

Someone must have forgotten to mention that to that 1st year med student in my class who kept wearing his short white coat to the bar.....

Rogue Medic said...

OMDG,

The stopwatch is essential.

Besides, it helps to bring out my inner Stanley Milgram. ;-)

Grumpy, M.D. said...

It depends on the presence of cheerleaders on the sidelines of the tube, with male cheerleaders exhorting the X-carrying swimmers to give it their best, and female cheerleaders rooting for the Y-carriers to go faster.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Science is interesting, but I myself can't imagine earning a living by standing next to a just-humped cow with a measuring tape, microscope, and stopwatch.

Albinoblackbear said...

Rogue--My apologies. No one reads this blog, I think you're safe! ;P

OMDG--Yeah, the only thing worse than that are the people who wear their stethos around campus. Dear LORD give me strength.

Grump--Thank you, my life is complete! Someone has used the phrase "just humped cow" in the comments section in an appropriate and science-y way. I may stop writing now. ;)

Rogue Medic said...

Rogue--My apologies. No one reads this blog, I think you're safe! ;P

But my other secret to being studly is bragging about reading your blog.

And I am disappointed that Grumpy, M.D. finished your bucket list, rather than me. I guess I'll just have to go find some blog with less of a focus on bovine insemination. Either that or develop more of an interest in bovine insemination.

Bostonian in NY said...

I just snarfed my beer...thanks