Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cut from a Vagina

Yes. Life is amazingly good.

Thursday was my last exam (the OCASE) which went very well with two exceptions:

1) I cut myself on the plastic vagina* during the internal exam

2) Had a serious mind-go-blank incident with one of the stations and wow is it ever hard to fill 6 minutes when you don't know what to do. You can only ask a patient so many different ways if they can dress themselves and pour a kettle without difficulty. More on that later.

The afternoon of the exam we jumped in a cold river outside of town then in the evening we went to a small house party hosted by a classmate. We cleared the living room furniture out and danced until 5am.

When I awoke my head was pounding, my throat was sore from singing, my abs were aching from laughing, and my feet were battered from dancing. All signs of an amazing night.

Minor travel glitches but arrived without incident to Ottawa and am now enjoying some serious down time with Tobie and his family.

Thanks for all the good luck comments.

Sigh. Year one--done.

*The most hilarious part about this was while a classmate and I were drinking coffee and waiting for our flight I said,

"Hey check it out I cut myself on the vagina!"

to which she replied

"SO DID I!!" and showed me a similar wound.

I really hope someone overheard that.

10 comments:

RH said...

Congratulations and enjoy the down time! Now, I wonder if your student clinic sees many lacs secondary to plastic vagina.

hmmm....

NPO said...

OMG. There are too many jokes for a guy from that headline "Cut from a Vagina". Tobie be careful.

Please help me understand how two women are cut by a vagina? Was it hard plastic, sharp edges or just an unexpected object you could not see?

Keet said...

I've been warning people about the dangers of vagina for ever. Does anyone listen? no. Well now, you know why you should always use a barrier method.

Dragonfly said...

Sounds like a serious occ health + safety issue :-)
Tetanus booster up to date?

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Sue! Demand a year's free tuition!

Maha said...

Congrats on being done an ENTIRE YEAR of medical school :D That's awesome! And welcome back to Canada!

Ryan said...

They're a concealed weapon, those vag's.
Welcome back, going to make it out this way?

Albinoblackbear said...

Thanks RH! The only way it could have been better would have been if someone had gone to the clinic with that as a chief complaint! :)

NPO--I think what caused the abrasion was during the "internal" exam while feeling for cervix etc. the plastic introitus had a hard edge and swiveling my hand finding adnexa just caused the skin to rub off. I didn't realize I had done it until I got to the next station and put the alcohol hand sanitizer on.

But at that point I was too amped on adrenaline/stress to figure out what had cut me! hahahha Sigh. Oh exams.

Keet--HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA...breathe....HAHAHAHAH.

DF--Seriously. I was actually worried that it was getting infected and that would have been just so unbelievably gross.

The best part was when I showed an ER doc friend of mine the wound during lunch yesterday her response was "I REALLY hope it scars!!!" :)

Grump--I hadn't thought of that! Awesome. I can see the school paper headline now...

Thanks Maha. It is *great* to be home. I had forgotten so many of the things that I love about Canada.

Ry--Heh, yes, concealed weapon indeed.

Sadly I will only be in the Northern reaches not the interior reaches of our great province this year. However, I think it is only about a 15h drive from your place--why don't you guys pack up the kids and come for a visit? Or bike there? heheh

Abilene Rob said...

I'll leave the vagina jokes to the professionals, but please accept my hearty congratulations on making it through your first year.

Robert said...

Well, I suppose you don't have to worry about your male classmates swiping the plastic models for...erm...extracurricular activities...

Congrats on your first year complete!!