Monday, June 14, 2010

Sea Horse? Sea Hell.

One of the main reasons I've kept my sanity recently is due to a video that Whitecoat posted.

If you have two minutes and you want to have a laugh at what happens when the ramblings of a very stoned mind are recorded and then put to brilliant visuals I would advise checking it out.

In other news, I wrote my first final today. The anatomy spotter of doom. I mean, you don't even have good guessing odds as there are always 10 possible answers.

In a new evil twist my prof really got into the negatives this time around.

So I'd get to the station--thinking

"Ok great! That is a clearly a horizontal section of the basal ganglia. Sweet. Bring it! I studied my ovaries off during neuro and can draw you any pathway, inhibitory, excitatory, sensory, motor, direct, indirect...what you got?'

Then I'd read the questions:

If 'A' is damaged at 'B' which answer is not true:

a-a contralateral hemiparesis below the zygoma without lacrimation and without hyperacusis
b- an ipsilateral hemiparesis below the zygoma with lacrimation but not hyperacusis
c-a contralateral hemiparesis without with lacrimation and with hyperacusis
d- an ipsilateral...


"wait--SHIT I am looking for what is NOT true---gah! Now I have to go back to the beginning and read from the start---crap what pathway was I looking at again? Which nerve was that? Which part of the---"

BUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

Next station.

Repeat x 50 questions.

Also the guy behind me in the stations was SNIFFLING and SNOTTING through the entire thing. At one point I was trying to decide between grabbing one of the invigilators and saying "give the MAN a DAMN KLEENEX" or taking my shirt off and throwing it at him to use as a hanky. Note to self, from now on bring tissues for others as well as myself. 

Hello fall re-write.

No one said medical school was easy. But what was all that drivel about 'the hardest thing is getting in'?

Bah.

Now to collect myself for the next three rounds...ding ding!!!

6 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

If you'd taken off your shirt and handed it to Mr. Snot, maybe you'd have passed. For helping a fellow student in distress, I mean.

Albinoblackbear said...

Heh. I would have handed it to him or asphyxiated him with it...the latter probably not rewarded behavior in a medical program.

Well Eils was joking about wedging a 50 Euro note wrapped around her student ID in her cleavage for similar gain before the exam.

I'd require duct tape and popsicle sticks to try and pull off a similar stunt.

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

My suggestion for Mr. Snot is nasal intubation. Maybe then you can get some points for maintaining his airway.

Bostonian in NY said...

sounds positively evil...

during my anatomy lab final, one of my good friends was across the room from me. It was a similarly evil exam and we'd look at eachother after each station and try not to laugh at the stupidity of the exam. I looked up in the middle of one station to see her covering her face with her hands and shaking her head in utter frustration.

Anonymous said...

Ugh those questions sound heinous! Anatomy lab exams always reminded me of some sort of macabre, high stakes game of musical chairs centered around corpses and other miscellaneous body bits.

We were always crammed into a small space so there was a lot of jostling and occasional elbow throwing at the buzzer to get a good look at the next station, with simultaneous desperate attempts to keep your eyes confined to said next station or your own paper. This left about 5 seconds to come up with a reasonably correct, correctly spelled answer. Positively nerve wracking.

P.S. Thanks for reminding me, I am definitely bringing Kleenexes and cough drops to pass out before Step 1!

Good luck on the rest of your tests!!

ertwro said...

About the video..I think my thalamus just broke! That video it's...Half of my world just disappeared. I can't describe it better than that.

And about your anatomy questions: they seem pretty tough.

I had to deal with 1.5 years of:
If 1,2,3,4 are true A
If 1,2,3 are true B
If 1,3 are true c
If 2,4 are true D
If 4 it's true E

Glad to hear you are finally over with it, and ready for some non-pharmacology aid Sleep. Enjoy your vacations.