Friday, February 5, 2010

Homesick

Weird. Seems I am homesick again.

This was partly the fault of a recipe that I am making for Tobie's return from NY tomorrow. Random, yes. It's what I used to make a lot the night before big skiing days.

I knew that I was going to be giving up a lot to go to medical school (i.e. contact with friends, family, my favorite forms of recreation, my favorite fish monger, my favorite tea store, my favorite wine store....oh and money to spend at aforementioned places.)

I know a part of me would have always been unsettled, wrestling with the 'what if?' question if I hadn't gone. The question now is, would that have been more uncomfortable than this feeling now?


Photo taken by me somewhere in the arctic circle, June 2006. 

3 comments:

OMDG said...

You are going to feel so much better when you start doing actual clinical stuff. The classroom stuff can be completely stultifying, and you feel like you'll never be done.

Doctor D said...

Don't worry Albinoblackbear, this Continent is patiently awaiting your return.

Albinoblackbear said...

I agree and thanks for the new word!
:)

I am very antsy to get back into any form of patient contact.

Getting to interact with the actor patients this week reminded me that even though I gripe and whine about insane/demanding/drugseeking/abusive patients on the blog, for the most part I really enjoy bedside work. And the majority of the patient population.

DD--Thanks! I guess right now *I* am more impatiently awaiting my return to the continent. A friend of mine sent me an email reminding me that "the mountains will be here waiting for you until you get home".

True. Hopefully I won't have osteoporosis when that time rolls around! :P