Monday, March 17, 2014

Move

Today I started my 3 month rural 'family medicine' rotation. It is in a northern community which has a hospital and clinic run by advanced scope GP-anesthetist and GP-surgeons. Needless to say I am both excited and intrigued to see how this all goes. It could potentially be a community I could see myself living in. If, I am capable of completely eschewing hot yoga, dining out, drinking coffee in quaint locals, retail therapy, exotic ingredients and mountain gazing. Hmmm. Being in the hospital and clinic I am in a little bubble of "this is SO great!" until I step outside. It's a big sacrifice at the end of the day. Kick ass job in Armpitville or the opposite alternative.

While I was packing for the move I had flashbacks to all those times I would go on northern nursing contracts. Packing bedding, knives, high-quality snacks, books, towels, candles, textbooks, stacks of Yogi tea and feeling the mix of anticipation and dread at leaving whatever cozy digs I had. Hoping that my roommate and apartment wouldn't be too nuts and too ghetto, respectively.

My roommate here is fantastic. Our eyes are definitely aligned but the digs...oh the digs. A former elementary school turned into an apartment building. It means the echos of feral children and their meltdowns infiltrate as obtrusively as the constant supply of cigarette smoke. And I have to think, before medical school I had a cute little house in the mountains and an RRSP in the bank...now I have...this. 

Well at least I am back in the work bubble in not too many hours.

Goodnight.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Northern isolation is why God gave us good beer and bad TV.

peace said...

Hehe loved the armpitville. Is this part of your internship?

Albinoblackbear said...

@Michael-Heh. Yep.
@Peace-Yeah we do 3 months rural rotation in 1st year residency then 22 weeks in 2nd year.
@Taraine-Yeppers!

Ó'Cuinn said...

So glad you are blogging again!