Tuesday, December 4, 2012

File Review Starts Today!

Dearest Readers,

Today all of the programs start reviewing the mountain of applications for residency positions. That means that today is when the "Yes!" and "Hell NO!" piles are made. On average each IMG seat has >100 applicants vying for an interview. The programs typically give about 3-8 interviews per position. I'm no mathematician but those odds are not ideal, to say the least.

So, as of now I ask that you cross your fingers, and all other paired appendages for me (ok, well not all...I do want you to keep your gonads) . If you're a praying person, throw up a few prayers. If you're a wiccan / pagan / animalist scatter some ground up chewable aspirin into the wind while chanting "grant ABB an interview".  

It's exciting, and frightening, and nerve wracking all at the same time. Pretty sure that is why I woke up with a gut ache this morning. Or maybe that was secondary to the paroxysmal coughing fits I was suffering all night (upside to coughing fits--sore abs! See post below).

I do take small comfort in knowing that up to this point in my medical career I did absolutely everything that I could, with every fiber of my being, to succeed at this stage. If I don't get a residency in Canada, well...I've got plan B and C simmering away on the backburner.

Alea iacta est. The dye is cast.

I am trying to let go and know that wherever I end up is absolutely where I am meant to be, even though it may not be where I think I ought to go. But I am still allowed to hope for certain things. Right?

7 comments:

Aunt Murry said...

Of course. Consider fingers crossed and prayers thrown about.

Christie Critters said...

So I'm throwing up prayers for you as a good Lutheran should...
But saying "break a leg", "good luck" - whatever doesn't hurt also.
So, "Good Luck!"

Albinoblackbear said...

Thanks, Ladies!! :D

PGYx said...

YES, you are allowed to hope! But I like your intention to remember that you are and will be exactly where you need to be.

Unleashing waves of prayers for the right program to say Hell YES!! (If they read your blog they'd have the good sense to grab you before someone else does!)

Justin said...

I have crossed my ischial tuberosities for you. 'S how much I care.

EMT GFP said...

Crossed! (PS I like the gonads comment!)

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed indeed!

you will rock 'em