Thursday, December 2, 2010

In Kicking Myself For Not Asking...

I always ask questions at the end of lecture. Barely anyone else ever does which I find weird and borderline irritating. I feel like saying "Really? No one has a question? This nephrologist just lectured to us for 2 hours and everything was crystal clear--you have never wanted to ask a nephrologist anything?"

Sometimes I bite my tongue, or just ask after class because even though a really big part of me doesn't care what the other students think of my question asking behaviour, sometimes I just don't want to be that girl. You know, the one who asks questions. Every. Lecture.

Anyway, yesterday I went to an evening presentation by the only peds neurosurgeon in Ireland. Yes, you read that last line correctly. I didn't ask my question because a few people (mostly doctors) in the audience were asking long blow-hard-like-listening-to-their-own-voice-pseudo-questions. Also, I was pretty sure that I must have missed a pivotal aspect of neural tube development/spina bifida/Arnold-Chiari malformations in school because NO ONE ELSE asked and it seemed like a really obvious question (why do repaired spina bifida patients who no longer have ACM's still need shunts, why do they still have hydrocephalus, like forever??)

I kicked myself afterwards because when I ran into my anatomy prof in the parking lot I asked him. He had been wondering the same thing. Anyway, when I was venting my frustration at not asking (and my reasons why) he said,

Everyone waits for someone else to ask the key question.  Evolution taught us to take risks vicariously.

So, anyway. That is my quote for the week. Nay, month.


I think I will get a coffee mug with that written on it. 

6 comments:

RH said...

I honestly do not know the answer to that either. Please share it when you get it. While I wait, I am going to go scour my textbooks.

Anonymous said...

Yes, please do! I'm quite curious myself.

Anonymous said...

I think there is a lot of pressure to keep quiet and not be 'that' annoying constant question person in Med School. However, I think if your question is actually valid (i.e. Not a 30 minute discourse based on something you once saw on House/Grey's Anatomy, your own personal semi-related mysterious medical issue, or a blatant exhibition of The Art of Gunning. I'll admit I've thrown a few heated glares myself at such aggravating askers. Grrrr.) it is important and even imperative that you speak up for your own benefit and for the benefit of other learners.

That said, that quote is so (humblingly? alarmingly?) True.

OMDG said...

What Ninja said.

Also, can you tell us the answer when you find out?

rhonda said...

I'm interested to know that as well, my SIL has spina bifida as well as several other maladies. I would love to know the answer to some things....

P.S. I am almost always "that girl", the one asking questions when everyone else just wants to leave. I chalk it up to my being older and wiser.

Keet said...

hey smarty... Now that you're an AL you think you can be THAT GIRL, eh? I love it.

Also, why haven't we found the answer yet? LOL! Get on it girl!