Normally I try and avoid yahoo "news" stories but I stumbled upon this random article today. I usually abhor the onslaught of "Best Of"*, "End of the Year" lists and "Top Ten" type articles that surface in January...but I will admit...there were some real gems in this piece. It cracked everyone in my house up, so I figured it was 'blogworthy' (my own word for 2008).
My favorites on the list for "Word of the Year 2008" according to Macquarie Dictionary include:
- (say 'brohmans) noun Colloquial a non-sexual but intense friendship between two males. [bro + (ro)mance1]
- fanta pants**
- (say 'fantuh pants) noun Originally British Colloquial a person whose hair is naturally red. [from the orange-coloured soft drink Fanta + pants, with reference to pubic hair as the indicator of hair colour]
- (say 'flashpakuh) noun Colloquial a backpacker who travels in relative luxury. [flash(y) + (back)packer] --flashpacking, noun
- fur child
- say 'fer chuyld) noun Colloquial a pet animal, as a cat or dog, treated as one would a child.
Oh and John, you are not allowed to make any comments which may draw parallels to my travel style and any of the above definitions. :)
*Exceptions being the 'Old Favorites' on IDDX, as well as Maha and OMDG's 10 year review.
- **Incidentally, here in Ireland they call red-heads "Gingers" or "Ginger-balls". It is not exactly a term of endearment either.