Tuesday, February 14, 2012


Dear Diary,

Today I had the chance to make my first scalpel to skin incision. M.C was very nonchalant about the whole thing. I had set up the tray as per usual (thanks to years of nursing and having to set up many a tray for minor ops) and then he just casually said to me, "okay, so work away there...get a blade for yourself..."

Yeah, I tried to play it cool but I am fairly sure that the eyes-popping-out-of-my-head-with-questioning-stare gave it all away.

He smirked and pretended to have something to do away from the patient while I went about (excitedly) excising my first skin tag.

This was followed by a sebaceous cyst excision and another skin tag removal (of a patient I had seen 1 month ago and booked for the procedure). She said she hadn't felt a thing, and that I was worth every penny that he was paying me. HA! I shall never let M.C live that one down.

I was pleased to learn that I have a steady hand and do indeed get a rather large kick out of cutting people (in the socially acceptable cutting to cure sort of way). I am sure that such a milestone is something you never forget. Course I am happy that this happened in one of my favorite little hospitals, on Valentine's day nonetheless.

Today was a good day.




Old MD Girl said...

Awesome. You rule. Just the first of many incisions to come.


Grumpy, M.D. said...

"Unfortunately, he became the first patient in history to die of blood loss during routine removal of a 5mm skin tag, but hey, that's how I'm learning"

Justin said...

Congratulations! I can't imagine how rewarding that must feel, especially when accompanied by patient praise. Way to go!

nicenurse said...

nice work!

Knot Telling said...

Whee! Well done!

Elizabeth Shouldice said...

For Easter, I wish you an abscess.