Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lost In Irish Translation

The phrase, "to get a ride" in Ireland does not equate to "getting into someone's car and having them drop you off at a specified location", it means something quite different (I will allow you to use your imagination on that one).

Today I was in the hallway at school and one of the profs bumped into me and asked if I'd found and purchased a car yet.

Several of the 1st years began filing out of their clinical skills, walking in between us.

I replied enthusiastically, "Oh yes! And the best thing is now I don't feel like such a teenager having to bum rides all the time!"

She turned her head to one side, squinting out of the eye closest to me.  A few of the students exchanged glances.


"Er...I mean, ask for lifts all the time!"

When. Will. I. Learn??


Old MD Girl said...



Cartoon Characters said...

Irish friends would have the oddest makes me laugh.

Check this out:

Headstrong said...

Phenomenal "lift" to my morning! ;)

shrtstormtrooper said...

Next time that happens, just be like "Yes! I'm glad I don't have to get rides from acquaintances anymore. I'm also glad I don't have to get lifts from them either."

Albinoblackbear said...

OMDG--Yep. Yours truly puttin' her foot in it, big time.

CC--HILARIOUS site. Love it. Thanks for that.

HS--Heh. My pleasure! ;)

Albinoblackbear said...

STT--Exactly! Hahahah..

Maha said...

I love your picture at the end of the post - truly that should be next to the 'insert foot in mouth' entry in the dictionary!

Also, love STT's comment! said...


Glad the prof could laugh it off :P

PGYx said...

Foot-in-mouth syndrome can be an endearing trait if you're willing to laugh at yourself! :-)