Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Inside Job

Yesterday I had the chance to finally meet Dr. Brian Goldman. It was quite the adventure, getting there and away. But, how many times do you get to to eat seared tuna with one of your medical heroes?

And how many times do you get to be inside CBC Toronto??


The answer to both is: not very many.

It was starting to unfold like a 1993 comedy. Of course, there was the tornado warning west of Ottawa just a few hours before my flight. Then the flight was delayed. Then just as we were about to taxi for takeoff they grounded the plane on the tarmac for an hour because of a major thunderstorm warning in Toronto. Followed by my arrival in a 31 degree city and a broken down shuttle bus.

Eventually I arrived at the hotel, which happened to be hosting a massive Make-Up-Sold-in-Houses convention. The scene was of drunk middle aged women smoking out front, in completely over the top prom dresses with sashes, proclaiming their yearly sales. Yes, yes I did also see a tiara.

The next morning I arrived at the CBC building in downtown Toronto and had to keep my credit card far far away from the schwag store (I'll take two coffee mugs, one aviator bag, an old-school CBC logo t-shirt and a scarf, thanks). By the way, CBC, if you're reading this I wear medium and I will shamelessly promote you forever on this blog...CBC.....CBC.......CBC.....!

Brian and I did manage to get a lot of work done despite my urges to photograph everything from the security guards to the Anna Maria Tremonti elevator. What do I need to do from this moment forward to someday have an elevator with my face on it?! Seriously. CBC radio is the soundtrack of my life. My earliest memories often involve long car rides with Peter Gzowski's gravelly voice or the As It Happens theme song. 
I was in my Mecca. But I think I behaved. I didn't leave any little Jian Ghomeshi action figures lying around, collect cigarette butts that could have been touched by Peter Mansbridge, or steal pencils off Elanor Wachtels desk. 

I did, however, manage to miss my flight back to Ottawa and ended up having to take the train. All well worth it. Brian and I have worked together on pieces for WCBA before but it was great to finally meet him. Bottom line, if you miss a plane because you're having lunch with a CBC radio host, there really is nothing to complain about.

I was pleased though, to arrive back at Dan and Lisa's for an arctic char feast, and relieved that the final leg of my journey did not involve riding in the back of a pick up truck with migrant workers and hillbillies. 

Though, it would have made a good story, I suppose...


7 comments:

Research said...

I am so envious! CBC radio is a constant in my life.

Does your meeting mean we will be hearing more from you on WCBA?

Albinoblackbear said...

Yeah! I just don't know when the show is going to air but will keep you posted (pun intended, of course!)

;)

Unknown said...

Can I do a little fangirl Squeeeing? I did not grow up in a CBC Radio household, but my kids sure are!

Michael said...

Did you say hi for me :P

Nature Nerd said...

Oh. So. Cool!!! Very exciting ABB. And why is there no photograph of the Anna Maria Tremonti elevator? I so want one of those 70's CBC t-shirts. And that is all for my extremely short but excited sentences about CBC.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I hope this helps get you a position at home.

Albinoblackbear said...

@NJ--And your kids are 100x more awesome for it! :)

@Michael--Yes, yes I did.

@NN--Dude believe me I *wanted* to take a picture but I was standing in a group of CBC producers and I didn't want to look like a rube. :P

@Grum--You and me both!